With the rising popularity of cashless transactions in India and the government’s efforts to shift towards a digital economy, it becomes vital to keep your Aadhaar card up-to-date. Your Aadhaar number or UID is your 12-digit identification number where all your information is stored. Since the introduction of the Aadhaar scheme in 2009, we’re sure a lot has changed; you’ve probably moved houses or changed your phone number and it’s important that you update your details on your Aadhaar card at the earliest. So, how do you go about it? Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to go about it.
- Log on to the Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal
- Enter the Aadhaar card number in the field provided, the OTP that has been sent to your registered phone number and the text verification. If you do not have a registered mobile number, please follow the instructions mentioned in step 7.
- Once you login, you will be directed to a Data Update Request page where you can select the information you wish to update.
- After this, you would be required to furnish documents that support the change in data:
To update your name: You are required to submit a Proof of Identity with your photo and correct name.
To update your address: You are required to submit an address proof with your name and the correct address.
To update your date of birth: Bear in mind that your DOB once verified cannot be changed again. Enter your DOB in DDMMYYYY format and submit a proof of your date of birth.
To update your mobile number, email ID or gender: You are not required to submit any supporting documents to update this. Simply enter the correct details in the corresponding fields.
- Upload scanned copies of the required documents.
- Once successfully uploaded, you will be given an URN number that needs to be saved for any future reference. It may take anywhere between 10-15 days for the request to be processed and updated in the system.
- If you want to update your information using the offline mode, link your mobile number to your Aadhaar card for the first time or if you have lost your phone number and want to update the new one, the process is slightly different:
- Download the form, fill and sign it.
- Attach the necessary Proof of Identity (POI) and Proof of Address (POA) documents to it.
- Send it to either of these two addresses –
UIDAI, Post Box number 10, Chhindwara, Madhya Pradesh – 480001, India
UIDAI, Post Box number 99, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad – 500034, India
Alternatively, you can head to the nearest Aadhaar Update Centre to you and submit the update request.
- You can track the status of your request here.
As we move towards an economy where the Aadhaar card will eventually become the medium of all transactions, it becomes important to keep it up-to-date. You wouldn’t want to lose out on the multiple benefits of cashless transactions, now would you!